Tofu Tikka Masala
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read mydisclosure policy.
Tofu Tikka Masalais a flavorful, vegan version of the classic and very popular Indian tikka masala recipe. With aromatic Indian spices, tofu, tomato sauce and coconut milk, it has become one of my favorite easy vegetarian meals to enjoy. It’s creamy, delicious, and the perfect cozy dish to serve during the cold winter season!
This tofu tikka masala recipe is based off ofmy loaded veggie tikka masala，我最喜欢的食谱创作之一！该配方是我博客中最受欢迎的食谱之一，也是我多次的食谱之一。金沙澳门官网它也是素食主义者，装满了蔬菜（因此名称！）。它是用鹰嘴豆作为蛋白质来源制成的，否则与香料和酱汁方面非常相似。
Because I love the veggie tikka masala so much, I wanted to create a dish with the same flavors, but a more classic tikka masala recipe that uses tofu instead of chicken. We definitely have a winner! Since testing and retesting this recipe to get it just right, it’s been a go-to weeknight meal that the whole family loves. Not only is this tofu tikka masala super delicious, it’s so easy and pretty quick to whip up. It also works great to make in advance and serve it though the week for ready-to-go lunches and dinners.
I know there are quite a few vegan tikka masala recipes out there, but this one is over-the-top delicious. Give it a try – I know you’ll agree!
What is Tikka Masala?
Tikka Masala is a popular Indian recipe that is usually made with chunks of chicken or lamb in a flavorful, creamy tomato sauce with a variety of spices. It’s super tasty and one of my favorite Indian dishes!
Making Vegan Tikka Masala
使植物性碎块马沙拉食谱的completely vegan, we’re using tofu instead of chicken. We’re also using vegan yogurt and coconut cream instead of regular heavy cream. I think you’ll find this lightened up, vegan version just as delicious as traditional tikka masala and so easy too! I love to serve it over over rice to soak up all the saucy goodness!
The ingredients for this dish are all basic and easy-to-find. The list may seem a bit long, but it’s made up of many classic Indian spices. I highly suggest investing in them because you’ll want to make this dish on repeat! Tikka masala recipes do vary some, but here’s what you’ll need to make my tofu tikka masala:
- Tofu.Protein-rich, low in calories, and budget-friendly; tofu is a great plant-based substitute for chicken in this recipe. A firm or extra firm tofu is best here!
- 洋葱+大蒜。Adds delicious aromatic flavor to the tikka masala recipe.
- Ginger + cilantro.Both add complex flavors to the dish. If you really don’t like cilantro, feel free to leave it out.
- Garam masala.A spice blend that is used in many Indian recipes and is made up of cinnamon, mace, peppercorns, coriander, cumin, and cardamom to name a few. Don’t skip it! You can find it in the spice aisle at most grocery stores and online.
- Other spices.This recipe uses traditional Indian spices that blend together to create the bold, deep, and complex flavor you’d expect from tikka masala sauce.
- Tomato sauce.Use any favorite tomato sauce to make the base of the tikka masala sauce.
- 酸奶+ coconut cream.To keep this recipe vegan, use a dairy free yogurt variety. The combination of the yogurt and coconut cream, thicken the sauce and make it deliciously rich and creamy.
- Peas.For added color!
How to Make Tofu Tikka Masala:
Although the ingredient list seems a little long, tofu tikka masala is not a complicated dish to make. Let’s get started:
- First, combine half of the onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro stalks, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blitz until fully combined, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Next,sauté the tofu over medium heat until it’s lightly browned and crispy on all sides. Meanwhile, you can get your chopped onion and spices cooking in olive oil in a separate skillet.
- Once the onion and spices have cooked down, add inthe tomato sauce, yogurt, coconut milk and the blitzed onion and cilantro sauce. After about 5 minutes of cooking, add in the tofu and frozen peas. Stir to combine and let this cook for about 5 minutes or until peas are fully heated through.
- Serve with rice and garnish with a bit more cilantro leaves and yogurt. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead and Storage Tips
- 取得的成就。Tofu tikka masala is the perfect recipe to meal prep for daily lunches or make in advance for dinner. I think it tastes even better the next day!
- Leftovers.Tikka masala stores beautifully! Place any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. It will keep fresh for about 5 days.
- 重新加热。Rewarm in a pot or skillet on the stovetop or pop it in the microwave to reheat.
- 冷冻。You can freeze tikka masala in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve With Tofu Tikka Masala
- Rice.The creamy tomato based sauce makes tikka masala perfect for serving over rice. The combination of the sauce and the rice makes this dish very satisfying and I love how the rice soaks up all of that delicious flavor of the sauce. Trymy perfect instant pot basmati ricerecipe. You could even usecauliflower rice.
- Naan.Naan面包是一种常用印度餐的平坦面料。它与皮塔饼面包非常相似，但有点温柔。像米饭一样，它也很适合浸泡美味的酱汁。您还可以使用皮塔饼面包服务Tikka Masala。
- Vegetables.I love loading my plate up with veggies on the side to mingle in the delicious tikka masala sauce. Adding extra vegetable goodness is a great way to make this meal nourishing and balanced.
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment and/or tag me oninstagram(@foodwithfeeling).
See how to make the Tofu Tikka Masala:Print
Tofu Tikka Masala is a flavorful, vegan version of the classic and very popular Indian recipe. With aromatic Indian spices, tofu, tomato sauce and coconut milk, it has become one of my favorite easy vegetarian meals to enjoy. It’s creamy, delicious, and the perfect cozy dish to serve during the cold winter season!
- 2(14-ounce) blocks of firm or extra firm tofu, pressed* and cubed
- Large yellow onion, divided (1/2 goes in sauce in blitzed sauce, 1/2 is finely chopped)
- 2cloves of garlic
- 1inch of ginger, peeled
- 10sprigs of fresh cilantro (plus more for serving)
- 2 tablespoonsof olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoonof cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon姜黄
- 1/4 teaspoonof ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoonof paprika
- 1 teaspoonof salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsGaram Masala
- 115 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1small container of vegan yogurt*
- 7.5 ozcan of full fat coconut cream or milk** (abouthalf of anaverage sized can)
- 1 cupof frozen peas
- Optional for serving: chopped cilantro, extra yogurt, basmati rice cooked
- In a food processor, combine half of the onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro stalks, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blitz until fully combined, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, saute the tofu over medium heat until it’s lightly browned and crispy on all sides. This will take roughly 15 minutes. Your tofu will likely not all fit into the pan so you can either do this in batches or in 2 separate skillets. Once done, set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and spices, stir to combine and cook gently for 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Into the skillet, add the tomato sauce, yogurt, coconut milk and the blitzed onion and cilantro sauce. Cook for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in the tofu and frozen peas. Stir to combine and let cook for 5 more minutes or until peas are fully heated through.
- Serve with rice and (optional) a bit more cilantro leaves and yogurt.
Tofu: See my guide on pressing tofu这里
Tofu blocks all seem to be different sizes ranging from 10-16 ounces. Aim for ~28 ounces but don’t worry if your blocks are a bit smaller or larger. The recipe will still turn out great!
酸奶: make sure that you find a PLAIN yogurt. Plain dairy free yogurt can be hard to find at some stores so if you absolutely can’t find it, you could use the whole can of coconut milk or try some vegan sour cream.
Keywords:vegan tikka masala, tofu tikka masala, vegetarian tikka masala